Everybody’s a little (or a lot) anxious. What do you do about yours?

By Dr GaryCA February 7, 2015 at 10:57 pm 2,052 4 2

Dr Gary

Living with a chronic condition gives you all kinds of reasons to feel anxious. Do I need to go through a list with you? Probably not.

Humans don’t do well with uncertainty. And chronic conditions can bring all kinds of uncertainty to your life. Having to face a test or a procedure. Adjusting to changes in your daily life. Thinking about the future. And stress. All of this can lead to anxious feelings.

So what do you do about those anxious feelings? Suffer until they hopefully go away on their own? Try a technique and hope it works?

You’ve got more options than that. Coping with anxiety begins with how you think about anxious feelings. As well as preparing yourself for the anxiety that might come your way.

I posted an article awhile back with some ideas on how to cope with anxious feelings. Here’s a link:

http://www.attentiondeficitconnect.com/adhd-a...

So… what do you get anxious about?

What do you do when those anxious feelings when they do sneak in?

Any ideas to pass along? Need some help?

I like this
  • Report as inappropriate
  • Track
    Email
    Print Twitter
    Facebook

Replies (4 replies)

Add your reply
  • michgurl74
    michgurl74 January 21, 2016 at 6:59 am   
    I like this Report as inappropriate

I get anxious when I know that I've made an impulsive decision, that's going to cause a rift with my husband. I also get anxious when I have too many commitments (or functions) in a short period, when I've let things go unattended too long or have not returned calls to family or friends. Sometimes there will be nothing wrong and I start getting anxious that it's temporary. Almost like I'm waiting for the shoe to drop. I usually withdraw for awhile when it gets to be too much.

• Dr Gary
    Dr GaryCA January 25, 2016 at 11:40 am   

Hi michgurl, thanks for jumping into the conversation. I appreciate your honesty here. The causes of anxiety that you menitoned are, in my experience, shared by many people. I have certainly talked to clients a lot about similar reasons for anxiety. I do think there are coping skills you can learn to get you through these difficult times. Have you talked to a counselor about this? You might want to connect with someone that uses cognitive behavior therapy. Also, learning to calm yourself could help, like calming breathing, or learning to distract yourself in a healthy way, like giving yourself positive self-talk or calling a friend. Nice to see you!

• livingsweet101
    livingsweet101 March 1, 2015 at 5:58 pm   

i get axious about bills money kids and making sure everyone is happy which makes me worry when they are not happy expecially my 2 little kids. One of which has ADHD which makes me feel worse because i gave him that problem

• Dr Gary
    Dr GaryCA March 15, 2015 at 9:30 pm   

Hi! Nice to see you, my friend! I always encourage my clients to take things one day at a time. I know how scary it can be when you are having financial stressors. I hope you are getting lots of emotional support. You can be a role model for your children. Take good care of yourself and your child with ADHD will learn how to take care of himself and manage his ADHD. Great to be in touch with you! Gary